How to Use the Webform Version of the Service
The webform hosted on this site is an example of a client to the LinBox webservice. This
webform client is hosted on linalg.org and calls one of the computing servers on another
machine. You can use this webform client to make calls to LinBox without having to
download and mainain the LinBox library yourself.
Using the Webform Version of the Service
To use the service, click here. You can then select an operation that you
wish to perform. The current choices are:
You can find common definitions of rank, determinant, and trace on Wikipedia.
*By LinBox tradition we use the name valence for the lowest degree nonzero
coefficient of the minimal polynomial of the matrix. By blackbox methods, the valence may
be computed more cheaply than the full minimal polynomial. The valence contains all those
primes which occur in the largest invariant factor of the matrix.
Then enter a matrix. You can either upload a matrix file or select one of several
example matrices. Click submit to perform the calculation. Note that if you incorrectly
enter matrix data then LinBox may not be able to complete the operation.
How to Install the Webform Version of the Service
Getting the software
Modifying the software
- Get LinBoxWebservice directory from fendt@hmrg to desired location, eg
- Unzip axi2-1.2.zip, to eg /usa/fendt/axis2-1.2
- Unzip commons-fileupload-1.2-bin.zip, to eg /home/www/usa/linbox
- Unzip commons-io-1.3.2-bin.zip, to eg /home/www/usa/linbox
- The zip files for 3) and 4) are found on the apache web site, www.apache.org.
- Install tomcat in /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13
Setting up the web client
- Set JAVA_HOME variable to /usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_07 NOTE: The service will not work if
this variable is set to an older version of Java. If the service is not working,
check to see if there is a newer version of Java.
- Set AXIS2_HOME to /usa/fendt/axis2-1.2
- Change port to 8080, in tomcat's conf/server.xml at line 50
Running the web client
- Make the following directories in /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/
- Run "ant.generate.dependent.client" in LinBoxWebservice directory
- Copy build/client/build/classes/samples/quickstart/clients/TransferAgentDependentClient.class to /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/samples/quickstart/clients
- Copy all files from build/client/build/classes/samples/quickstart/service/adb/ to /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/samples/quickstart/service/adb
- Copy build/client/build/lib/Services-test-client.jar to /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib
- Copy commons-io-1.3.2.jar to /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib
- Copy commons-fileupload-1.2.jar to /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib
- Copy "LinalgComputingClient.jsp" and "SubmitComputation.jsp" to /home/www/usa/linbox/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/ROOT/
Return to server page
- Make sure the web service on hmrg is running!!!
- Start up tomcat.
- The web client is ready to go. Note that when tomcat is first started up
that the web page may need to be "reloaded" several times before the service
- If you manage to kill my service on linalg, you may need to restart the
web service on hmrg before the linalg web client can work again. :)